Vijay K. Chopra
Dr. Vijay K. Chopra is a Senior Director of Clinical Cardiology, Heart Failure and Research at the Max Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi since November 2019. He obtained his MBBS from CMC, Vellore in 1973 and doctorate in Medicine (1976) and Cardiology (1979) from Post Graduate of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh. He was a Senior Consultant at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi from 1979 till 2006, Senior Consultant – Cardiology 2006-2009 at Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi and Director – Heart Failure at Medanta – The Medicity, Gurugram, India from 2009-2019. He is now in Max Super Speciality Hospital working as Sr. Director – Clinical Cardiology, Heart Failure and Research from November 2019 till date.
Dr. Chopra has authored more than 50 originals papers, reviews and editorials in different national and international journals and books. Dr. Chopra founded the Heart Failure Association of India (HFAI) in the year 2014 and led it for a period of 5 years and at present serves on its board of governors. Under his leadership, the Heart Failure Association of India (HFAI) formed a closed association with Heart Failure Association of the ESC (HFA of ESC) in 2014 resulting in joint sessions of HFAI and HFA being held in each other’s annual conferences every year since then which he has been co-chairing.
Dr. Chopra is the Chief Editor of the “Year Book of Heart Failure” since 2018 which features a summary of all the important papers in various aspects of Heart Failure for that year with a commentary by recognized experts in that field. He also serves as an Associate Editor of the journal “ESC Heart Failure”.
Dr. Chopra has participated in 30 clinical trials serving as:
Principal Investigator for MUSIC, ADHF, Stroke Registry, EXSCEL, ROCKET-AF, PARADIGM, ASIAN-HF, ODYSSEY OUTCOMES, REPORT-HF, PARADISE, SELECT, TD-PAH
National Lead Investigator in RED-HF, ELIXA, TIMI-51 ACS, PARAGON, FOURIER, ODYSSEY-EAST, SCORED, DAPA-HF, EMPEROR-Reduced, EMPEROR-Preserved, DARE-19, FINE-ARTS and EMPACT MI
Best Papers :
- Vijay Chopra, Jessica L Mega, Eugene Braunwald, Sabina Murphy : Rivaroxaban in the setting of continued dual antiplatelet therapy : Findings from the Atlas ACS-2 TIMI 51 trial., March 2013: Journal of American College of Cardiology Volume 61, Issue 10 Supplement, March 2013
- Akshay S. Desai, Henry Krum et al. : Cardiorenal Outcomes and the Efficacy of Darbepoetin in Patients with Heart Failure, reduced Ejection Fraction, Anaemia and Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease. 2014;130:A12684
- JAMA – Journal of the American Medical Association (2014) 312(10) 1006-1015
- Sabatine M, Giugliane R, Keech A et al. : Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease. New England Journal of Medicine (2017) 376(18) 1713-1722
- Schwartz G, Steg P, Szarek M et al. : Alirocumab and cardiovascular outcomes after acute coronary syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine (2018) 379(22) 2097-2107
- Chopra VK, Mittal S, Bansal M, Singh B, Trehan N. : Clinical profile and one-year survival of patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction : The largest report from India: Indian Heart J. 2019 May – Jun; 71 (3): 242-248.
- Triposkiads F, et al. : The continuous heart failure spectrum : moving beyond an ejection fraction classification : Eur Heart J. 2019 Jul 1; 40 (26) : 2155-2163.
- Odyssey East – A Randomized, Double-Blind Parallel Group Study to Evaluate Alirocumab Efficacy and Safety Versus Ezetimide in patients with hypercholesterolemia and Maximally tolerated statin in China, India and Thailand. AHA Journal. 2019;140:A12214
- McMurray J, DeMets D, Inzucchi S, et al : A trial to evaluate the effect of the sodium-glucose co-transporter2 inhibitor dapagliflozin on morbidity and mortality in patients with heart failure and reduced left ventricular ejection fraction (DAPA HF) European Journal of Heart Failure (2019) 21 (5) 665-675
- Ray K, Colhoun H, Szarek M et al. : Effects of alirocumab on cardiovascular and metabolic outcomes after acute coronary syndrome in patients with or without diabetes : a prespecified analysis of the ODYSSEY OUTCOMES randomized controlled trial. The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology (2019) 7 (8) 618-628
- McMurray JJV et al. Dapagliflozin characteristics of patients with Heart Failure and reduced Ejection Fraction. N Engl J Med. 2019; 381 (21) : 1995-2008
- Packer M, Butler G, Filippatos et al. : Evaluation of the effect of sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibition with empagliflozin on morbidity and mortality of patients with chronic heart failure and a reduced ejection fraction : rationale for and design of the EMPEROR-Reduced trial. European Journal of Heart Failure (2019) 21 (10) 1270-1278
- Chia Y, Teng T, Tay W et al. : Prescription patterns of ant-diabetic medications and clinical outcomes in Asian patients with heart failure and Diabetes Mellitus. European Journal of Heart Failure (2019)
- Mark C. Petrie, Subodh Verma et al. : Effect of Dapaglifloxin on Worsening Heart Failure and Cardiovascular Deaths in patients with Heart Failure with and without Diabetes JAMA 2020 ; 323 (14):1353-1368 03-27-2020
- Eugene S.J. Tan, Vera Goh, Bernadet T. Santema et al. : Ethnic differences in atrial Fibrillation among patients with heart failure in Asia. ESC Heart Failure. 08 May 2020
- Alice Jackson, Pooja Dewan, Inder Anand et al. : Dapagliflozin and diuretic use in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction in DAPA-HF. CIRCULATIONAHA/2020/ 047077R1. May 12, 2020
- Cardiology Society of India position statement on COVID-19 and heart failure. Indian Heart Journal. Volume 72, Issue 2, March-April 2020, Pages 75-81
- Pooja Dewan, Scott D. Solomon, Pardeep S. Jhund et al. : Efficacy and safety of sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibition according to left ventricular ejection fraction in DAPA-HF European Journal of Heart Failure (2020) doi.10.1002/ejhf.1867
- Vijay K. Chopra, Stefan D. Anker. : Anaemia, Iron Deficiency and heart failure in 2020: facts and numbers. ESC Heart Failure DOI:10/1002/ehf2.12797
- Eugene S.J. Tan, Vera Goh, Bernadet T. Santema, Wan Ting Tay, Tiew Hwa Katherine Teng et al. Ethnic differences in atrial fibrillation among patients with heart failure in Asia. ESC Heart Failure. 08 May 2020 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ehf2.12696
- Anker SD, Butler J, Khan MS, Abraham WT, Bauersachs J, Bocchi E, Bozkurt B, Braunwald E, Chopra VK, Cleland JG, Ezekowitz J, Filippatos G, Friede T, Hernandez AF, Lam CSP, Lindenfeld J, McMurray JJV, Mehra M, Metra M, Packer M, Pieske B, Pocock SJ, Ponikowski P, Rosano GMC, Teerlink JR, Tsutsui H, Van Veldhuisen DJ, Verma S, Voors AA, Wittes J, Zannad F, Zhang J, Seferovic P, Coats AJS.: Conducting clinical trials in heart failure during (and after) the COVID-19 pandemic: an Expert Consensus Position Paper from the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Paper from the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2020 Jun 7;41(22):2109-2117. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa461.
- Matteo Serenelli, Michael Bohm, Silvio E. Inzucchi, Lar Kober et al. : Effect of Dapagliflozin according to baseline systolic blood pressure in the Dapagliflozin and prevention of Adverse Outcomes in Heart Failure Trial (DAPA-HF). European Heart Journal (2020) 0,1-17 doi.10.1093/eurheart/ehaa496
- Packer, S.D. Anker, J Butler et al : Cardiovascular and Renal Outcomes with Empagliflozin in Heart Failure. N.Eng J Med Aug 29, 2020, DOI : 10.1056/NEJMoa 2022190